Investing in the next generation of Australian talent? For Advance, it’s a no-brainer.
Every year, as a part of the Advance Global Australian Awards, we offer the chance for final-year University students to get a substantial leg up to kick-start their careers.
We carefully match each successful applicant with one of our Industry Award Winners for a 12-month, one-on-one Mentoring Program, aimed at developing skills for professional clarity, self-awareness, and a successful career.
Applying is simple: students must be in their final year of undergraduate or postgraduate study at an Australian University, and want the exclusive opportunity to develop a professional relationship with a global Australian industry leader. Applications will open on Monday 14 May and close at 5pm AEST on Friday 29 June 2018 (Just like most things at uni, don’t leave it until the last minute!).
For more information on the eligibility criteria, mentors, and reasons to apply, refer to the 2018 Mentoring Program guidelines here.
Meet the exceptional individuals who have been selected in previous years here.
Who should apply?
- The program is open to all last year undergraduate and postgraduate students studying at an Australian university
- Self-motivated individuals seeking to continuously promote personal development.
Why should you apply?
- Advice on his/her career path
- Access to a top leader in your industry giving you an edge in your professional career
- Opportunity to gain clarity and self-awareness with the aim of being a future innovative leader
- International experience and industry knowledge from a top global Australian leader
About the mentors
- Mentors are the Advance Award winners - outstanding global Australians who have been selected based on his/her professional achievements/success overseas in their chosen field
- Not all Advance Award winners will be able to mentor
- Complete online application
- Applications are reviewed by Advance and Advance Award mentors
- You will be selected based on your demonstrated success in your field, achievements, interests, community involvement and alignment with our winners
- Make sure to express your enthusiasm and energy for learning, growth, your ability to lead!
- Approximately 8-10 mentees will be selected to participate
- Interviews and selection process will be undertaken
How the program works
- The mentee will schedule regular mentoring sessions (via Skype and emails) over a 12-month period,
- You will work together on a key project or to resolve/discuss up to three key issues
- Opportunity to attend the high profile Advance Awards
- Advance will facilitate the process and connection
Feedback from mentees
"I always wanted to have a mentor relationship, but I didn’t know how to go about asking someone or finding someone that would fit for me. Advance gave me the opportunity to make connections and build a network globally. Even among the Mentees, we are still in touch! The support from Advance to be part of a peer network and join international leaders was amazing." Thomas Brown, 2016 mentee, mentored by Dr Alison Thompson OAM (Ambassador of the Haitian Ministry of Environment and Founder, Third Wave Volunteers, 2016 Social Impact Award Winner
“My mentor encouraged me to think globally and ambitiously right from the beginning. I'm now the Founder and CEO of 2Mar Robotics. We make robots to improve people's lives. My mentor helped me avoid losing a lot of my money along the way, so that I am still able to research and design robots to manufacture every day.” - Marita Cheng, 2013 mentee, mentored by Peter Le Lievre (Co-Founder and CEO of Chromasun), 2013 Advanced Manufacturing Award Winner
"Vikram has accelerated my personal and professional development far more than I could have expected and I cannot thank him enough. I hope that we can continue to work together in years to come.” –Victor Brooker, 2014 mentee, mentored by Vikram Mehta (CEO of Kaazing) 2014 Technology Innovation Award Winner
“The opportunity to talk with Andrew regularly about the challenges he faces and how he sees clean technology solutions changing, has given me the sense and courage to pursue a career in this industry. Andrew’s overseas experience and view have been critical and I have now been invited by the World Bank to pursue my initiatives.” – Paul Newbury 2014 mentee, mentored by Andrew Tanner (VP of Geli) 2014 Clean Technology Award Winner